Principal Product Manager (remote)
United States, US
YML is a design and digital product agency. We create innovative products that export Silicon Valley to the world. We create value for our clients by creating value for their customers.
Founded in 2009 we built app #54 in the App store. We have led early-stage startups and top-tier brands to “wow” their customers with best-in-class digital products and experiences. Our work has created category leaders in retail (The Home Depot) and insurance (State Farm), as well as laid the digital foundation for the next generation of Fortune 500 companies (Credit Karma, PayPal, Mercari, and more).
Our bread and butter are in digital products, prototypes, customer experience, service design, and moment mapping. Our work has been recognized by Steve Jobs (ya, that Steve Jobs) and featured by TED Talks, in The Wall Street Journal (“YML is one of the most innovative companies in Silicon Valley”), Forbes, Ad Age, ABC, CNBC and more. We are not a marketing agency. No campaigns. No media buying.
We started as a team of two, now we’re 500 strong. We have six offices on three continents and are headquartered in Silicon Valley (full remote positions available).
The product team at YML thinks like entrepreneurs and delivers like architects. They define the rationale for why a product should be built as it is, inspire clients, engineers, and designers alike with a vision for the product, and a blueprint to bring it to life. They are essential to ensuring YML delivers an outsized business impact for our clients.
Principal Product Managers are accountable to operate as a highly effective product leader who can execute hands-on delivery from pitch to product strategy definition and phases of testing and optimization through the design and development cycles. Our distinction of Principal Product Manager at YML is based on these two things : (#1) you prefer to operate as an IC and do not want to formally manage others (mentorship on on-project coaching will inevitably be required). We do not see management of others as the only path to leadership which is why we have created the Principal Product Manager role; and (#2) you have complex or specialized product experience (e.g., ML, blockchain, healthcare EHRs etcs.). 'Principal' does not have direct reports, and 'Group' does have direct reports.
This role will report to Director of Product & Strategy.
WHAT WILL YOU BE DOING?
- Project or Account-level leadership of product management
- Collaborate with Business Development to define a winning proposal for the client’s product needs and telling that as a compelling story in partnership with your partners on the creative team
- Build client relationships and partner with our internal client services team to ensure we identify risks and opportunities to finalize a product strategy and roadmap to execute it
- Provide clarity, direction (set and communicate goals); build momentum by simplifying the complex and communicating the 1-2-3 to achieve results.
- Partner closely with the design team by providing initial direction through product briefs that define the KPIs and goals for the product.
- Excel at laying down organized documentation – either directly or through a supporting PM – to ensure clarity of requirements for engineering.
- You will thrive here if you thrive on personal relationships, speed to results, and a keen product sense based on results for the client’s business.
- Account-level management of junior PMs supporting larger engagements. We operate a coaching model of supervision and “leveling up the work”
- You are responsible for coaching your product team members at the project and craft level. We take coaching to heart as a leadership model.
- How we measure your success as a Principal Product Manager at YML: Are the products you deliver for clients achieving measurable impact on their business? Are you contributing to building YML’s brand and reputation?
- Deep knowledge developing world-class digital experience and product strategy
- Strong track record working for top-tier brands at world-class agencies, with particular depth in categories that represent complex customer experiences, such as healthcare, financial services, or retail.
- Strong case studies of strategies that led to breakthrough creative and highly effective outcomes.
- 5-10 years digital experience / 2 – 3 years as a team lead
YOUR IDEAL MINDSET
- Excellence — Do right by the work. Our work defines us. If it’s not world-class, then neither are we. We each live our craft, we never settle and we own the outcome. And by doing so, we strive to build the best, first-of-a-kind experiences for our clients and most importantly their customers.
- Service — Do right by our clients. Our clients choose us because they like us. Relationships really do matter. We create an enjoyable, high-touch experience for our clients. We prioritize collaboration over negotiation, and, by doing so we lift our clients to new heights.
- Heart — Do right by each other. Show some love and have some heart. Our people are the number one ingredient that makes us who we are, and we believe in absolute fairness, respect, and accountability, at all levels. It’s no secret, when we do right by you, you do right by us.
6 continents, 26 languages, 1 team
- We’re proud to not just preach diversity, but employ a truly diverse team. We’re intentional about bringing in people with different cultural backgrounds and perspectives because it is the best way to build products for the masses and promote the power of diversity.
Equal Opportunity Employer
- YML is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.