Senior Software Engineer, Backend
United States, US
YML is a design and digital product agency. We create innovative products that export Silicon Valley to the world. We create value for our clients by creating value for their customers.
Founded in 2009 we built app #54 in the App store. We have led early-stage startups and top-tier brands to “wow” their customers with best-in-class digital products and experiences.
Our work has created category leaders in retail (The Home Depot) and insurance (State Farm), as well as laid the digital foundation for the next generation of Fortune 500 companies (Credit Karma, PayPal, Mercari, and more).
Our bread and butter are in digital products, prototypes, customer experience, service design, and moment mapping. Our work has been recognized by Steve Jobs (ya, that Steve Jobs) and featured by TED Talks, in The Wall Street Journal (“YML is one of the most innovative companies in Silicon Valley”), Forbes, Ad Age, ABC, CNBC and more. We are not a marketing agency. No campaigns. No media buying.
We started as a team of two, now we’re 500 strong. We have six offices on three continents and are headquartered in Silicon Valley (full remote positions available).
Our solutions architect / technical product owner group inspires the engineering team towards solutions that have a lasting impact. Focused on defining technical solutions for omnichannel customer experiences that impact millions of customers.
Success is achieved by passionately advocating for technical excellence, software quality, and process/organizational improvements. Through your leadership and mentorship, you will serve as a role model for your team; guiding them to success, milestone after milestone.
This role will report to our (Senior) Engineering Manager.
WHAT WILL YOU BE DOING?
- Hands-on coding, system analysis, design, and the delivery of a digital system
- Cultivate a collaborative working environment and a culture of ownership with a growing team
- Building Spring/SpringBoot based microservices in a distributed environment
- Coordinate with owners of upstream services and data sources
- Ensuring service scales through scalable architecture and performance testing, in conjunction with the performance team
- Writing unit tests covering services built
- Maintaining production services with bug fixes as needed
- 8+ years of overall software development experience
- Strong Java development skills with latest JDK (although you don't mind using older versions as needed)
- Expertise in API and microservices development with SpringBoot
- Knowledge in designing and developing event-based microservices, preferably using Apache Kafka
- Knowledge in developing microservices using NoSQL or NewSql
- Familiarity with Google Cloud platform and Kubernetes
- Practical knowledge of applying design patterns
- Understanding of scalability in developing services
- Experience working with a good CI/CD pipeline
- Unit testing frameworks
- Security models in API and message-driven development
- Understands architecting for containerized deployment
- Bonus Points : Knowledge of integration frameworks, such as Camel, Mulesoft
- Bonus Points : Application Security
- Bonus Points : Financial or Inventory Management domain familiarity
YOUR IDEAL MINDSET
- Excellence — Do right by the work. Our work defines us. If it’s not world-class, then neither are we. We each live our craft, we never settle and we own the outcome. And by doing so, we strive to build the best, first-of-a-kind experiences for our clients and most importantly their customers.
- Service — Do right by our clients. Our clients choose us because they like us. Relationships really do matter. We create an enjoyable, high-touch experience for our clients. We prioritize collaboration over negotiation, and, by doing so we lift our clients to new heights.
- Heart — Do right by each other. Show some love and have some heart. Our people are the number one ingredient that makes us who we are, and we believe in absolute fairness, respect, and accountability, at all levels. It’s no secret, when we do right by you, you do right by us.
6 continents, 26 languages, 1 team
- We’re proud to not just preach diversity, but employ a truly diverse team. We’re intentional about bringing in people with different cultural backgrounds and perspectives because it is the best way to build products for the masses and promote the power of diversity.
Equal Opportunity Employer
- YML is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.