Engineering Manager (mobile)
United States, US
YML is a design and digital product agency. We create innovative products that export Silicon Valley to the world. We create value for our clients by creating value for their customers.
Founded in 2009 we built app #54 in the App store. We have led early-stage startups and top-tier brands to “wow” their customers with best-in-class digital products and experiences. Our work has created category leaders in retail (The Home Depot) and insurance (State Farm), as well as laid the digital foundation for the next generation of Fortune 500 companies (Credit Karma, PayPal, Mercari, and more).
Our bread and butter are in digital products, prototypes, customer experience, service design, and moment mapping. Our work has been recognized by Steve Jobs (ya, that Steve Jobs) and featured by TED Talks, in The Wall Street Journal (“YML is one of the most innovative companies in Silicon Valley”), Forbes, Ad Age, ABC, CNBC and more. We are not a marketing agency. No campaigns. No media buying.
We started as a team of two, now we’re 500 strong. We have six offices on three continents and are headquartered in Silicon Valley (full remote positions available).
Our Engineering group ensures YML delivers first-class web & mobile products that delight our clients and their customers. Working in collaboration with our product, design, and quality assurance teams, you will build software that solves real-world problems.
Success is achieved by passionately advocating for technical excellence, software quality, and process/organizational improvements. Through your leadership and mentorship, you will serve as a role model for your team; guiding them to success, milestone after milestone.
This position will report to our (Senior) Director of Engineering.
WHAT WILL YOU BE DOING?
- Lead and coach a group of engineers in delivering scalable, flexible, and secure features to our customers
- Lead engineering teams composed of primarily of Android & iOS engineers; as well as full-stack and QA engineers
- Deep dive into the work of your team, review the code submitted by your team, and resolve the root cause of problems
- Coach your team members how to increase the quality of their code based on real examples
- Build and manage a diverse and geographically dispersed team, while fostering a collaborative and inclusive environment
- Create strong practices around test-driven development (TDD), automating the delivery of apps to the marketplace with strong CI/CD practices
- Drive a continuous improvement process - introduce new tools & automation based on real data analysis
- Represent the team to engineering groups internally, to executive leaders in various functional groups within YML, to current and future customers, and to our partner organizations
- Collaborate with Product/Project Managers to plan, implement, and deliver tasks and modules on a timely basis with best practices and adherence to SOPs
- Manage the development pipeline to deliver features on schedule while maintaining a high bar for quality. Closely Interact with other functions such as PM/Product, Design, UI/UX, Architecture, QA, and deliver planned features
- Must have at least 3+ years of experience in an engineering management role, and a clear record of success prior to that as a senior/staff engineer
- Hands-on experience in designing, coding, and release management
- Proven experience continuously increasing your team's work quality & performance
- Experience with writing and maintaining unit tests, functional tests, and CI/CD pipelines
- Worked with MVVM, MVP, MVC patterns
- Must be a compelling and clear communicator, able to represent your team to internal and external audiences with differing levels of technical fluency
- Strong Analytical, Problem-Solving, and Debugging skills
- Ability to think from a product mindset
- Computer Science or Software Engineering related degree preferred
YOUR IDEAL MINDSET
- Excellence — Do right by the work. Our work defines us. If it’s not world-class, then neither are we. We each live our craft, we never settle and we own the outcome. And by doing so, we strive to build the best, first-of-a-kind experiences for our clients and most importantly their customers.
- Service — Do right by our clients. Our clients choose us because they like us. Relationships really do matter. We create an enjoyable, high-touch experience for our clients. We prioritize collaboration over negotiation, and, by doing so we lift our clients to new heights.
- Heart — Do right by each other. Show some love and have some heart. Our people are the number one ingredient that makes us who we are, and we believe in absolute fairness, respect, and accountability, at all levels. It’s no secret, when we do right by you, you do right by us.
6 continents, 26 languages, 1 team
- We’re proud to not just preach diversity, but employ a truly diverse team. We’re intentional about bringing in people with different cultural backgrounds and perspectives because it is the best way to build products for the masses and promote the power of diversity.
Equal Opportunity Employer
- YML is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.