Software Engineer, Android
Greater Bengaluru Area, IN
YML is a design and digital product agency. We create innovative products that export Silicon Valley to the world.
Since 2009, we have led early-stage startups and top-tier brands to “wow” their customers with best-in-class digital products and experiences. Our work has created category leaders in retail (The Home Depot) and insurance (State Farm), as well as laid the digital foundation for the next generation of Fortune 500 companies (Credit Karma, PayPal, Mercari and more).
Our bread and butter is in digital products, prototypes, customer experience, service design, and moment mapping. Our work has been recognized by Steve Jobs (ya, that Steve Jobs) and featured by TED Talks, in The Wall Street Journal (“YML is one of the most innovative companies in Silicon Valley”), Forbes, Ad Age, ABC, CNBC and more. We are not a marketing agency. No campaigns. No media buying.
We create products and experiences that make a lasting impact, ranging from Molekule (the 2016 Time Invention of the Year) to Universal Music Artists (now a Webby award-winning app) to building the future of Google’s AI with Tensorflow (really).
We started as a team of two, now we’re 400+ strong. We have six offices on three continents and are headquartered in Silicon Valley (remote positions available).
Our team in Bangalore is close to 200+ strong, and we are growing in a variety of ways. Our goals include a culture of excellence and we are looking to transform the team to be one of the best tech teams in Bangalore.
We are looking to hire multiple Android Engineers at different levels to help us code the world class apps we are creating. If you are a mobile engineer looking to build apps that will be used by millions of consumers worldwide, build apps for brands that you can be proud to show to your family and friends – you need to join us!
- Show your passion and develop high-quality, state-of-the-art native Android apps
- Ensure the performance, quality, and responsiveness of the applications
- Code reviews, automated unit testing, documentation for any code you write
- Deal with ambiguity and work in a rapidly evolving environment, with time-sensitive projects
- Deadlines matter to us. Plan your work and meet your deadlines, while maintaining code quality.
- Lead product initiatives and work on next generation prototypes
- Work with other engineers, product management, QA, and operations teams to develop and meet functional and non-functional requirements on schedule
- Work in an environment of an agile, test-driven fast feedback cycle (continuous integration, unit, functional, integration and acceptance testing)
- Get involved in client interactions and gathering project requirements
- Learn and adapt to new technologies
- Bring new ideas and technologies to the team that can improve the product or process.
- Depending on your level of skills and maturity (not seniority), mentor other engineers.
- Strong foundation in Computer Science fundamentals like data structures and algorithms, and software engineering principles
- Passionate about creating great code
- Multiple years of experience in Android application development, with Java and/or Kotlin. Kotlin experience is a major advantage.
- More than one published application on the Google Play store available for immediate download and review by our team. Please provide names of all your apps that you've worked with a brief description of your contribution (if not individually developed).
- Strong experience in building and publishing commercial applications to Google Play store.
- Multiple years of in Java I/O, RDBMS, Networking, Generics and well-known application frameworks.
- Solid Understanding of Android design principles and interface guidelines.
- Experience with performance and memory tuning using tools
- Experience coding with RESTful APIs to connect applications to back-end services.
- Great team player who works well in collaborative situations
- Experience with iOS app development is a major plus. Experience with cross-platform tools would be an advantage
- Experience with tools like Git, Jira, Basecamp, BitBucket, Azure DevOps would be an advantage.
- Good to have experience working with IOT projects, Bluetooth technologies
- Active Open Source, GitHub or Stack Overflow contribution will be a big plus
- Having personal apps in play store will be an added advantage
- Working knowledge of the general mobile landscape, architectures, trends & emerging technologies.
- Resourceful — you are a go-getter that leads by example, believes in searching for answers and is an endless problem solver
- Communicative — You are a master communicator: you make your point clearly and concisely, knowing what points to highlight depending on your audience
- Clear — you provide clear and actionable direction to your team and clients
- Honesty — Honesty and Integrity are key values for you personally, and you bring them to the workplace every day
- Collaborative — a dynamic team player, you are proactive about soliciting and giving feedback, and you are not afraid to push back when you need to defend the team
- Passionate — You love quality engineering, design and technology and the role it has in the shaping future