Mobile Architect, Android
San Francisco Bay Area, US
YML is a design and digital product agency. We create innovative products that export Silicon Valley to the world. We create value for our clients by creating value for their customers.
Founded in 2009 we built app #54 in the App store. We have led early-stage startups and top-tier brands to “wow” their customers with best-in-class digital products and experiences. Our work has created category leaders in retail (The Home Depot) and insurance (State Farm), as well as laid the digital foundation for the next generation of Fortune 500 companies (Credit Karma, PayPal, Mercari, and more).
Our bread and butter are in digital products, prototypes, customer experience, service design, and moment mapping. Our work has been recognized by Steve Jobs (ya, that Steve Jobs) and featured by TED Talks, in The Wall Street Journal (“YML is one of the most innovative companies in Silicon Valley”), Forbes, Ad Age, ABC, CNBC and more. We are not a marketing agency. No campaigns. No media buying.
We started as a team of two, now we’re 250 strong. We have six offices on three continents and are headquartered in Silicon Valley (full remote positions available).
Our Android group ensures YML delivers first-class Android products that delight our clients and their customers. Working in collaboration with our engineering, design, and quality assurance teams, you will build software that solves real-world problems.
Success is achieved by passionately advocating for technical excellence, software quality, and process/organizational improvements. Through your leadership and mentorship, you will serve as a role model for your team; guiding them to success, milestone after milestone.
This position reports to a Director of Engineering.
WHAT WILL YOU BE DOING?
- Hands-on contribution to the architectural development of mobile applications, primarily android. Also involved in cross-platform architecture across iOS & web applications.
- Lead and mentor one or more Android teams in the development of user-first mobile applications
- Hands-on coding, system analysis, design, and the delivery of a digital system
- Work closely with the business team in their pitch and proposals through user research and evaluating emerging technologies to foster innovation in shaping product ideas
- Serve as a role model for code quality, process, and its improvements
- Provide strong technical guidance to project team members so that their abilities and the overall project quality are enhanced
- A highly talented and driven mobile architect with 8+ years of overall software development experience and 2 years acting as a software architect / android architect
- At least 3 published applications on the Android Marketplace available for immediate download and review by our team
- Extensive use of Kotlin, Java I/O, Jetpack, Collections, Algorithms, and other well-known application frameworks and libraries
- Confident in developing rich GUI’s for Android
- Experience with source code management techniques using Git and/or SVN
- Solid grasp of algorithms, memory management, object-oriented programming, MVC programming, and concurrent programming
- Extensive experience detecting and correcting memory usage issues, as well as optimizing code for application performance
- A deep understanding of operating system fundamentals such as processes, inter-process communication, multi-threading primitives, race conditions and deadlocks
- Has excellent analytical and communication skills with proven ability to influence and negotiate with clients and internal stakeholders
- Experience using workshop techniques to foster story mapping and ideation sessions
- Ability to function effectively and communicate with cross-functional teams -- Design, Project/Product Management, Quality Assurance, Strategy, Data Science, Innovations Team, Marketing, Talent, etc, and manage continuously changing business needs
YOUR IDEAL MINDSET
- Excellence — Do right by the work. Our work defines us. If it’s not world-class, then neither are we. We each live our craft, we never settle and we own the outcome. And by doing so, we strive to build the best, first-of-a-kind experiences for our clients and most importantly their customers.
- Service — Do right by our clients. Our clients choose us because they like us. Relationships really do matter. We create an enjoyable, high-touch experience for our clients. We prioritize collaboration over negotiation, and, by doing so we lift our clients to new heights.
- Heart — Do right by each other. Show some love and have some heart. Our people are the number one ingredient that makes us who we are, and we believe in absolute fairness, respect, and accountability, at all levels. It’s no secret, when we do right by you, you do right by us.
6 continents, 32 countries, 26 languages, 1 team
- We’re proud to not just preach diversity, but employ a truly diverse team. We’re intentional about bringing in people with different cultural backgrounds and perspectives because it is the best way to build products for the masses and promote the power of diversity.
Equal Opportunity Employer
- YML is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.