Senior Engineering Manager
Bengaluru, Karnataka, India, IN
YML is a design and digital product agency. We create innovative products that export Silicon Valley to the world.
Since 2009, we have led early-stage startups and top-tier brands to “wow” their customers with best-in-class digital products and experiences. Our work has created category leaders in retail (The Home Depot) and insurance (State Farm), as well as laid the digital foundation for the next generation of Fortune 500 companies (Credit Karma, PayPal, Mercari and more).
Our bread and butter is in digital products, prototypes, customer experience, service design, and moment mapping. Our work has been recognized by Steve Jobs (ya, that Steve Jobs) and featured by TED Talks, in The Wall Street Journal (“YML is one of the most innovative companies in Silicon Valley”), Forbes, Ad Age, ABC, CNBC and more. We are not a marketing agency. No campaigns. No media buying.
We create products and experiences that make a lasting impact, ranging from Molekule (the 2016 Time Invention of the Year) to Universal Music Artists (now a Webby award-winning app) to building the future of Google’s AI with Tensorflow (really).
We started as a team of two, now we’re 400+ strong. We have six offices on three continents and are headquartered in Silicon Valley (remote positions available).
YML is looking to hire a Senior Engineering Manager for our rapidly expanding engineering team. As a Senior Engineering Manager, you will lead, support, and grow a development project team, own responsibility of overall team performance and results and direct the project team in delivery. You will be accountable for architectural decisions and functions across YML. You will be responsible to create a technical vision and strategy for the organization that aligns with YML’s business objectives. You will also anticipate strategic and scaling-related challenges through short and long-term planning along with overseeing large-scope projects and cross-functional team dependencies. Additionally, you will consult with stakeholders on the current functionality and complexity of adding new features to develop software specifications, translate business problems into functional work estimates at the component level for current and future projects, and mentor associates across the organization. You are also responsible to develop a long-term technical roadmap to determine continual revenue and/or cost optimization strategies. Additionally, you will reinforce and promote engineering culture and values across the organization.
As a People Manager, you will seek to understand disagreements, ensure all perspectives are heard, and facilitate a plan for resolution. You will delegate the work appropriately, provide clear expectations and follow up to ensure progress and overcome roadblocks. You are responsible to identify associates and team priorities based on business direction and adjust when needed. Also, you should lead by example and share knowledge and experiences with associates and team and create a respectful work environment where you advocate for your team, create accountability and recognize their accomplishments. Additionally provide timely feedback to encourage success, ensure accountability, and connect opportunities for your associates’ development.
- You will provide technical leadership to a team of excellent software engineers, leads and managers; this requires that you have the technical depth to make complex design decisions and the hands-on ability to lead by example.
- You should be able to facilitate and drive key technology decisions with senior technology stakeholders - both internal and external;
- You will be expected to instill and follow good software development practices and ensure timely delivery of high-quality products. You should be familiar with agile practices as well as be able to adapt these to the needs of the business, with a constant focus on product quality.
- You should be able to work very closely with various business stakeholders to drive the execution of multiple business plans and technologies. Partner with business units, product, program management, analytics stakeholders and cross-functional teams to build high quality world class software products following agile development practices.
- You should be able to facilitate and drive key technology decisions with senior technology stakeholders.
- You should be a thought leader and build a culture of learning and sharing technology insights across the technology teams; Bring innovation to the table that helps in improving the resiliency of products you are responsible for, sell your ideas and drive change.
- You should be able to attract, mentor, coach and retain top notch software engineering talent; Manage teams consisting of entry level and experienced senior level software engineers, conduct career conversations and performance reviews, and make compensation decisions.
- You should be able to promote and support company policies, procedures, mission, values, and standards of ethics and integrity.
- Total of 15+ years’ experience building cutting edge products. Deep experience in building large scale mobile or web applications and 5 + years experience in team management. Excelling at hiring, motivating, coaching and getting best out of people.
- Technical depth: You have the strong technical competence required to gain credibility. Ability to architect, design and code yourself.
- Technical experience in building and operating web-based applications. Deep understanding of all layers of the mobile / web-stack work (from the client interface to the database.)
- Solid knowledge of Web / Android and/or iOS mobile architecture, lifecycle, SDK/APIs and performance optimization
- Knowledge of multiple technology stacks/languages/tools and their pros/cons.
- Ability to build credibility with senior engineers and senior management; able to earn and sustain the respect of highly technical professionals.
- Execution ability: Focus on delivering products in a timely manner with high quality.
- Familiarity with multiple software development practices and tools, and the proven ability to adapt, champion and institute good practices and tools.
- Ability to partner with geographically distributed business units, product management, program management and cross-functional teams to deliver business results with agility and high quality
- Proven results oriented person with focus on customer experience and delivering quality products
- Demonstrated ability to create a supportive work environment for career and personal development.
- Strong problem solving skills, data structures and algorithms.
- Entrepreneurial drive, demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals in an innovative and fast paced environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences.
- An Engineering Degree - B.E/B.Tech/MS/PhD in any stream – Computer Science preferred. Strong understanding of object- oriented programming, concurrency and fundamentals of computer-science.
Our ideal candidate is an energetic, self-motivated individual focused on solving customer problems. He/She is a responsive team player who can proactively contribute for building technical strategies for applications and systems by promoting an understanding of the technology and business roadmap. He /she is someone who thrives in a fun, fast-paced, dynamic, startup-like environment.
Technical Leader — you are a proven technical leader, and an advocate for both the user and product quality
Resourceful — you are a go-getter that leads by example, drives self-research and is an endless problem solver
Clear — you provide clear and actionable direction to your team and clients
Honesty — Honesty and Integrity are key values for you personally, and you bring them to the workplace every day
Collaborative — a dynamic team player, you are proactive about soliciting and giving feedback
Passionate — you love quality engineering, design and technology and the role it has in shaping the future