Senior People Specialist
San Francisco Bay Area, US
YML is a design and digital product agency. We create innovative products that export Silicon Valley to the world.
Since 2009, we have led early-stage startups and top-tier brands to “wow” their customers with best-in-class digital products and experiences. Our work has created category leaders in retail (The Home Depot) and insurance (State Farm), as well as laid the digital foundation for the next generation of Fortune 500 companies (Credit Karma, PayPal, Mercari and more).
Our bread and butter is in digital products, prototypes, customer experience, service design, and moment mapping. Our work has been recognized by Steve Jobs (ya, that Steve Jobs) and featured by TED Talks, in The Wall Street Journal (“YML is one of the most innovative companies in Silicon Valley”), Forbes, Ad Age, ABC,CNBC and more. We are not a marketing agency. No campaigns. No media buying.
We create products and experiences that make a lasting impact, ranging from Molekule (the 2016 Time Invention of the Year) to Universal Music Artists (now a Webby award-winning app) to building the future of Google’s AI with Tensorflow (really).
We started as a team of two, now we’re 250 strong. We have six offices on three continents and are headquartered in Silicon Valley (remote positions available).
As a Senior People Specialist, you’ll be working closely with every incredible human in our lean organization dedicated to having a lasting impact on each other and the industry.
In partnership with our People Team, you will work to ideate, structure, and champion lasting impact on our People through excellent employee experience. You are someone who is proactive, process, and detail-obsessed; while also having a high degree of integrity, empathy, and trust. You will be a vital member in helping build a world-class culture.
- Partner with the People team to support our 3 US locations & remote employees on all core HR related matters
- Partner with the Talent team to support Talent function during peak hiring season as necessary
- Manage and maintain all employee records (employee files, immigration files, benefits files)
- Champion an excellent People Experience from their very first contact with our brand=
- Demonstrate a strong work ethic with a sense of urgency and ownership
- Champion resourcefulness and do whatever it takes to get the job done
- Partner with the People team to be a cultural ambassador for our organization by nurturing and leading Culture efforts at YML
- Partner with People team to grow Learning & Development function
- Make decisions quickly and effectively using good judgment
- Provide clear feedback on priorities, identify lack of and establish clarity when needed, and be able to set reasonable expectations when necessary
- Tackle other people related projects as assigned
- A dynamic, flexible, and hard-working attitude coupled with an approachable personality
- 6+ years of experience directly administering core HR function: Benefits management, HRIS, payroll
- 2+ years of experience directly administering immigration programs within the growing startup space: H1B visa processing, L1 visa processing, Green Card processing
- Strong understanding and up to date knowledge of California, Georgia & Indianapolis Labor Laws
- Significant experience interacting with employees and leadership
- A high level of discretion and confidentiality for both business and personal affairs, and the highest level of personal integrity
- Good judgment, strong common sense, and excellent attention to detail
- Demonstrated initiative, flexibility, teamwork, maturity under pressure, and ability to anticipate and resolve problems before they escalate
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and assist multiple team members at the same time
- Intermediate to Advanced MS Office and Google Apps skills ( Good excel knowledge is a must)
- Experience at a fast-paced creative and/or tech firm; startup experience preferred
- Reliable — you are a self-driven person with a big passion for people
- Strategic — you are forward-thinking and have excellent organizational and analytical skills
- Collaborative — you are a team player who operates without an ego and brings a fresh perspective on people development
- Trustworthy — you set clear expectations and keep your promises