Director Of Engineering
San Francisco Bay Area, US
YML is a design and digital product agency. We create innovative products that export Silicon Valley to the world.
Since 2009, we have led early-stage startups and top-tier brands to “wow” their customers with best-in-class digital products and experiences. Our work has created category leaders in retail (The Home Depot) and insurance (State Farm), as well as laid the digital foundation for the next generation of Fortune 500 companies (Credit Karma, PayPal, Mercari and more).
Our bread and butter is in digital products, prototypes, customer experience, service design, and moment mapping. Our work has been recognized by Steve Jobs (ya, that Steve Jobs) and featured by TED Talks, in The Wall Street Journal (“YML is one of the most innovative companies in Silicon Valley”), Forbes, Ad Age, ABC, CNBC and more. We are not a marketing agency. No campaigns. No media buying.
We create products and experiences that make a lasting impact, ranging from Molekule (the 2016 Time Invention of the Year) to Universal Music Artists (now a Webby award-winning app) to building the future of Google’s AI with Tensorflow (really).
We started as a team of two, now we’re 250 strong. We have six offices on three continents and are headquartered in Silicon Valley (remote positions available).
Our Engineering group ensures YML delivers first-class web & mobile products that delight our clients and their customers. Working in collaboration with our engineering, design and quality assurance teams, you will build software that solves real-world problems.
Success is achieved by passionately advocating for technical excellence, software quality, and process/organizational improvements. In the capacity of a Director of Engineering, you will fulfill a core leadership function for your team carrying responsibility for Technical excellence, execution, cross-functional collaboration, people growth, and day-to-day management.
This position will report to our President/CTO.
- Lead and coach engineering teams in successfully delivering scalable, maintainable, and security features to our customers
- Lead and inspire engineering teams comprising backend, frontend, iOS, Android developers, and Quality Assurance
- Actively coach your team members on how to increase the quality of their code, jumping in and being hands-on if needed
- Partner with talent acquisition in fulfilling hiring needs for your teams
- Implement and lead a continuous improvement process - introduce new tools & automation based metrics
- Represent the team to engineering groups internally, to executive leaders in various functional groups within YML, to current and future customers, and to our partner organizations
- Build a diverse team while fostering a collaborative and inclusive environment
- Collaborate with Product/Project Managers to plan, implement, and deliver tasks and modules on a timely basis with best practices and adherence to SOPs
- Closely interact cross-functionally with Project/Product Management and design to deliver planned features
- Deliver Web, Android, and iOS applications with integration to backend services deployed on the cloud with high quality and responsiveness
- Create strong practices around test-driven development
- Prioritize to manage ad-hoc requests in parallel with ongoing projects
- Manage a geographically dispersed technical team
- Extensive experience in mobile application development, including at an individual contributor and engineering leadership level
- A deep understanding of the agile software development process
- A highly talented engineer with 10+ years of hands-on experience, mobile-focused and full-stack experience is desired
- Computer Science or Software Engineering related degree
- Must be a compelling and clear communicator, able to represent your team to internal and external audiences with differing levels of technical fluency
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities/projects in a fast-paced environment
- Good Analytical, Problem-Solving, and Debugging skills
- Continuously increasing your team's work quality & performance
- Ability to think from a product mindset
- Bonus : Hands-on cloud development experience
- Strong Technical Leader — You lead the team with deep technical expertise through a people-first leadership style
- Resourceful — you are a go-getter that leads by example, drives self-research and is an endless problem solver
- Clear — you provide clear and actionable direction to your team and clients
- Collaborative — a dynamic team player, you are proactive about soliciting and giving feedback
- Passionate — you love quality engineering, design and technology and the role it has in shaping the future