Lead Android Engineer
San Francisco Bay Area, US
YML is a design and digital product agency. We create innovative products that export Silicon Valley to the world.
Since 2009, we have led early-stage startups and top-tier brands to “wow” their customers with best-in-class digital products and experiences. Our work has created category leaders in retail (The Home Depot) and insurance (State Farm), as well as laid the digital foundation for the next generation of Fortune 500 companies (Credit Karma, PayPal, Mercari and more).
Our bread and butter is in digital products, prototypes, customer experience, service design, and moment mapping. Our work has been recognized by Steve Jobs (ya, that Steve Jobs) and featured by TED Talks, in The Wall Street Journal (“YML is one of the most innovative companies in Silicon Valley”), Forbes, Ad Age, ABC,CNBC and more. We are not a marketing agency. No campaigns. No media buying.
We create products and experiences that make a lasting impact, ranging from Molekule (the 2016 Time Invention of the Year) to Universal Music Artists (now a Webby award-winning app) to building the future of Google’s AI with Tensorflow (really).
We started as a team of two, now we’re 250 strong. We have six offices on three continents and are headquartered in Silicon Valley (remote positions available).
Our Android group ensures YML delivers first-class Android products that delight our clients and their customers. Working in collaboration with our engineering, design and quality assurance teams, you will build software that solves real-world problems.
Success is achieved by passionately advocating for technical excellence, software quality, and process/organizational improvements. Through your leadership and mentorship, you will serve as a role model for your team; guiding them to success, milestone after milestone.
- Lead and mentor one or more Android teams in the development of user-first mobile applications
- Hands-on contribution to the development of mobile applications. Serve as a role model for code quality, process, and its improvements
- Hands-on coding, system analysis, design, and the delivery of a digital system
- Complete assigned tasks in a timely manner within project constraints
- Cultivate a collaborative working environment and a culture of ownership with a growing team
- Provide strong technical guidance to project team members so that their abilities and the overall project quality are enhanced
- 8 years minimum overall experience in software programming with 6 years minimum specializing in Android application development
- At least 3 published applications on the Android Marketplace available for immediate download and review by our team
- Extensive use of Kotlin, Java I/O, Collections, Algorithms, and other well-known application frameworks
- Confident in developing rich GUI’s for Android
- Experience with source code management techniques using Git and/or SVN
- Solid grasp of algorithms, memory management, object-oriented programming, MVC programming, and concurrent programming
- Extensive experience detecting and correcting memory usage issues, as well as optimizing code for application performance
- A deep understanding of operating system fundamentals such as processes, inter-process communication, multi-threading primitives, race conditions and deadlocks
- Ability to function effectively and communicate with cross-functional teams -- Design, Project/Product Management, Quality Assurance, Strategy, Data Science, Innovations Team, Marketing, Talent, etc, and manage continuously changing business needs
- Technical Leader — you are both a team leader and a team player
- Resourceful — you are a go-getter that leads by example, drives self-research and is an endless problem solver
- Clear — you provide clear and actionable direction to your team and clients
- Honesty — Honesty and Integrity are key values for you personally, and you bring them to the workplace every day
- Collaborative — a dynamic team player, you are proactive about soliciting and giving feedback
- Passionate — you love quality engineering, design and technology and the role it has in shaping the future