Back End Engineer
Greater Bengaluru Area, IN
YML is a design and digital product agency. We create innovative products that export Silicon Valley to the world.
Since 2009, we have led early-stage startups and top-tier brands to “wow” their customers with best-in-class digital products and experiences. Our work has created category leaders in retail (The Home Depot) and insurance (State Farm), as well as laid the digital foundation for the next generation of Fortune 500 companies (Credit Karma, PayPal, Mercari and more).
Our bread and butter is in digital products, prototypes, customer experience, service design, and moment mapping. Our work has been recognized by Steve Jobs (ya, that Steve Jobs) and featured by TED Talks, in The Wall Street Journal (“YML is one of the most innovative companies in Silicon Valley”), Forbes, Ad Age, ABC,CNBC and more. We are not a marketing agency. No campaigns. No media buying.
We create products and experiences that make a lasting impact, ranging from Molekule (the 2016 Time Invention of the Year) to Universal Music Artists (now a Webby award-winning app) to building the future of Google’s AI with Tensorflow (really).
We started as a team of two, now we’re 250 strong. We have six offices on three continents and are headquartered in Silicon Valley (remote positions available).
Our team in Bangalore is close to 160 strong, and we are growing in a variety of ways as we strive to achieve a culture of excellence.
Our Engineering group ensures YML delivers first-class web & mobile products that delight our clients and their customers. Working in collaboration with our engineering, design and quality assurance teams, you will build software that solves real-world problems.
Success is achieved by passionately advocating for technical excellence, software quality, and process/organizational improvements. Through your leadership and mentorship, you will serve as a role model for your team; guiding them to success, milestone after milestone.
- Main focus will be development of all server-side logic, definition and maintenance of databases, and ensuring high performance and responsiveness to requests from the front-end
- Collaborate with front-end engineers to integrate user-facing elements with server side logic
- Be involved and participate in the overall development lifecycle
- Gather and address technical and design requirements
- Participate in the entire application lifecycle, focusing on coding and debugging
- Building reusable code and libraries for future use
- Optimization of the application for maximum speed and scalability
- Conduct unit/integration/system tests and optimize performance
- Implementation of data storage solutions
- Collaborate with multidisciplinary team of designers, developers and system administrators
- Hands-on experience with programming language like Java
- Strong Expertise in Algorithms and Data Structures.
- In-depth understanding of the entire development process (design, development and deployment)
- User authentication and authorization between multiple systems, servers, and environments
- Understanding differences between multiple delivery platforms such as mobile vs desktop, and optimizing output to match the specific platform
- Exposure to Cloud services like AWS, AZURE for e.g: route53, RDS instances, AMIs, EC2, S3 buckets
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools, such as Git
- Experience with Maven and/or Gradle
- Exposure to DevOps practices.
- Strong experience in using SQL & NoSQL solutions and understand pros and cons of relational and free form databases.
- Strong experience in building REST APIs using leading open-source frameworks.
- Experience with writing Unit tests, API tests using Postman collection and/or Swagger.
- Excellent analytical and time management skills
- Teamwork skills with a problem-solving attitude
- Preferred to have Docker exposure
- Technical Advocate — you are both an advocate for the user and product quality
- Resourceful — you are a go-getter that leads by example, drives self-research and is an endless problem solver
- Clear — you provide clear and actionable direction to your team and clients
- Honesty — Honesty and Integrity are key values for you personally, and you bring them to the workplace every day
- Collaborative — a dynamic team player, you are proactive about soliciting and giving feedback
- Passionate — you love quality engineering, design and technology and the role it has in shaping the future