Engineering Manager (mobile)
San Francisco Bay Area, US
YML is a design and digital product agency. We create innovative products that export Silicon Valley to the world.
Since 2009, we have led early-stage startups and top-tier brands to “wow” their customers with best-in-class digital products and experiences. Our work has created category leaders in retail (The Home Depot) and insurance (State Farm), as well as laid the digital foundation for the next generation of Fortune 500 companies (Credit Karma, PayPal, Mercari and more).
Our bread and butter is in digital products, prototypes, customer experience, service design, and moment mapping. Our work has been recognized by Steve Jobs (ya, that Steve Jobs) and featured by TED Talks, in The Wall Street Journal (“YML is one of the most innovative companies in Silicon Valley”), Forbes, Ad Age, ABC,CNBC and more. We are not a marketing agency. No campaigns. No media buying.
We create products and experiences that make a lasting impact, ranging from Molekule (the 2016 Time Invention of the Year) to Universal Music Artists (now a Webby award-winning app) to building the future of Google’s AI with Tensorflow (really).
We started as a team of two, now we’re 250 strong. We have six offices on three continents and are headquartered in Silicon Valley (remote positions available).
Our Engineering group ensures YML delivers first-class web & mobile products that delight our clients and their customers. Working in collaboration with our engineering, design and quality assurance teams, you will build software that solves real-world problems.
Success is achieved by passionately advocating for technical excellence, software quality, and process/organizational improvements. Through your leadership and mentorship, you will serve as a role model for your team; guiding them to success, milestone after milestone.
This position will report to our Director of Engineering.
- Lead and coach a group of engineers in delivering scalable, flexible and secure features to our customers
- Lead engineering teams composed of the backend, frontend, iOS, Android developers, and QA
- Deep dive into work of your team, review the code submitted by your team and resolve the root cause of problems
- Coach your team members how to increase the quality of their code based on real examples
- Involved in talent acquisition and hiring for your teams
- Drive a continuous improvement process - introduce new tools & automation based on real data analysis
- Represent the team to engineering groups internally, to executive leaders in various functional groups within YML, to current and future customers, and to our partner organizations
- Build a diverse team while fostering a collaborative and inclusive environment
- Collaborate with Product/Project Managers to plan, implement, and deliver tasks and modules on a timely basis with best practices and adherence to SOPs
- Manage the development pipeline to deliver features on schedule while maintaining a high bar for quality. Closely Interact with other functions such as PM/Product, Design, UI/UX, Architecture, QA, and deliver planned features
- Deliver Web, Android, and iOS applications with integration to backend services deployed on the cloud with high quality and responsiveness
- Create strong practices around test-driven development, automating the delivery of apps to the marketplace with strong CI/CD practices
- Play the role of an unblocker in a tight scrum environment. We should be able to help other developers with challenges, problem-solving, and help achieve milestones as per plan
- Prioritize to manage ad-hoc requests in parallel with ongoing projects
- Focus will be on hands-on with programming and architecture (not project management), with 50%+ of bandwidth going into modules owned
- A highly talented engineer with 10+ years of hands-on experience, primarily in web application development experience using Angular, ReactJS, Python, Java, GO. Additional Mobile development experience Android, Kotlin, iOS, Swift, Objective C will be a bonus
- Must have at least 3+ years of experience in an engineering management role, and a clear record of success prior to that as a senior/staff engineer
- Computer Science or Software Engineering related degree
- Worked with MVVM, MVP, MVC patterns
- Must be a compelling and clear communicator, able to represent your team to internal and external audiences with differing levels of technical fluency
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities/projects in a fast-paced environment
- Good Analytical, Problem-Solving, and Debugging skills
- Hands-on experience in designing, coding, and release management.
- Continuously increasing your team's work quality & performance
- Experience with writing and maintaining unit-tests, functional tests, and CI/CD pipelines
- Ability to think from a product mindset
- Bonus : Hands-on cloud development experience
- Technical Leader — you are both a team leader and a team player
- Resourceful — you are a go-getter that leads by example, drives self-research and is an endless problem solver
- Clear — you provide clear and actionable direction to your team and clients
- Honesty — Honesty and Integrity are key values for you personally, and you bring them to the workplace every day
- Collaborative — a dynamic team player, you are proactive about soliciting and giving feedback
- Passionate — you love quality engineering, design and technology and the role it has in shaping the future